The Building now known as the "Seven Oaks Hotel" has a colourful history. Built around 1820 by (Quaker) Samuel Haughton it was known as "Greenbank".
It was considered for use as a fever hospital around 1840, Wilfred Haughton lived here in 1845 and planted daffodil bells in arrangement displaying Wellington's troops in Waterloo. He died in 1898 and the house was taken over by his sister and her husband Rev. J. Jameson. An inspector John Brooks lived here in 1908. Michael Molloy of the Tullow Street drapery shop purchased the building in 1912.
In 1948 it was purchased by the administrator of Carlow Cathedral College. In the 1950's it opened its doors as a Hotel. Named in the beginning as the "Crofton Hotel" later it became known as the "Oaklands" and in 1977 was renamed the Seven Oaks Hotel which it has carried into the New Millennium.